Premature neonate resuscitation pearls courtesy of Dr. Jennifer Sanders. Neonates have a high surface area to volume ratio and thin underdeveloped skin – this results in rapid heat and fluids loss. There are many documented ways to maintain thermoregulation but plastic is a great choice – including a ziploc bag.
- Intubation is the first step in management – the resuscitation does not start until you have a definitive airway.
- Give Surfactant if you can to improve lung function.
- Make sure you have a definitive weight.
- Get access – consider an umbilical line.
- Start fluids and antibiotics – amp and gent as infection could be a cause of premature birth.
- NICU consult
Capobianco J.A. Keeping the newborn warm: How to safeguard the infant against life-threatening heat loss. Nursing 1980; 10: 64-67.