How do you evaluate for an ectopic pregnancy (versus an intrauterine pregnancy)?
Refer to Dr. Strayer’s email today. Briefly:
1. Regardless of beta, do an ultrasound. (New ACEP guidelines pending!) Start transabdominal and fan through.
2. Save multiple clips in multiple views. (Check out www.sinaiEM.us for the tutorial.)
3. Evaluate the myometrial mantle. 5-8mm or more is acceptable.
4. A yolk sac or more advanced signs of pregnancy, within the uterus, count as an IUP.
5. Provide the patient with a clear follow up plan, including a time period.
Special thanks to Drs. Bret Nelson and Sigrid Hahn.